This 7 days expedition takes you to the heart of the southeast Peruvian Amazon rainforest within the only lodge inside the National Reserve of Tambopata, the Tambopata Research Center.
The rainforest of Tambopata has gained a reputation of being a hotspot for parrot and macaw lovers due to the healthy population of the species and the ongoing research project at the Tambopata Research Center, the most remote lodges in South America, that has been working with macaws for more than 20 years. A huge clay lick lays less than a kilometer from TRC. Up to 17 species of parrots have been observed at this clay lick.
The expedition immerses you where all the Rainforest Expeditions dream began, with the scarlet macaws, who during this time of year are in their breeding season using the natural and artificial nests around the ecolodge.
The lodge’s pristine location means that it’s surrounded by the best wildlife the Amazon jungle has to offer.
Place of departure
Place of return
Does not include
All our naturalist interpreters are parrot lovers and have a deep knowledge of how the story starts, the first macaws around the Tambopata Research Center, and the Macaw Project. They are not only familiar with the different species of psittascines, but are also well acquainted with macaw biology and conservation. They also have plenty of anecdotes of the macaw around the Tambopata Research Center.
- Arrive in Puerto Maldonado,capital of Madre de Dios,andjoina 1-hour busanda 2.5 boat journey till thelodge. Your first toste of the Amazon culinary will be in the river while you leave the city to enjoy the amazing jungle landscapes.
- As we cross the confluence with the Malinowski River,we will leave the final traces of human habitation behind.Within the 700,000 hectares uninhabited nucleus of the reserve,sightings of capybara,caiman, geese,macaws and other large species will become more frequent.
- Tambopata Research Centerawaits - a spacious boutique eco-lodge,with bar,a massage center, and buffet service inthe heart of National Reserveof Tambopata,being the only lodge inside the reserve surrounded by dozens of macaw nests belonging to the Macaw Project.
- Accommodation includes rooms from 21 mts to 83 mts suites with a prívate bathroom and an open window facing the forest.
- Your stay includes three meals daily, teas, coffee,guided excursions and activities,refreshments upon arriving,and transfers to and from the airport. We assign guides on prívate small groups of 6:1
- This afternoon join the Overlook A three to five-kilometer hike will lead us to overlooks commanding magnificent views of the Tambopata winding its way into the lowlands. The forest on this trail, regenerating on the old bamboo forest, is good for Howler Monkey and Dusky Tití Monkey.
- You will hove the option of hiking out at night when most of the mammals are active but difficult to see. Easier to find are frogs with shapes and sounds as bizarre as their natural histories.
- On most clear mornings of the year, dozens of large macaws and hundreds of parrots congregate on this large river bank in a raucous and colorful spectacle which inspired a National Geographic cover story. Discretely located fifty meters from the cliff, we will observe Green-winged,Scarlet and Blue-and gold Macaws and severa! species of smaller parrots descend to ingest clay. Outings are at dawn when the lick is most active.
- This five-kilometer trailcovers the prototypical rain forest with immense trees crisscrossed by creeks and ponds. Amongst the figs, ceibas,and shihuahuacos we will go for a monkey search Squirrel,Brown Capuchin,and Spider Monkeys as well as peccaries. TRC is located within this habitat.
- Ten minutes upriver from the lodge explore the island where is a tiny pond with a platform in the middle.lt is a great place to spot waterfowl such as Muscovy duck,sunbittern and hoatzin along with the woodpeckers,oropendolas,flycatchers,and parakeets that call this pond their home.
- After dinner scientists will provide a night lecture, an in-depth look at the biology of macaws,their feeding habits,the theories for clay lick use,their breeding and feeding ecology,population fluctuations and the threats to their conservation.
- Stepping carefully over the winding "highways• of peaceful leaf-cutter ants,the Rainforest Master Hike will leave you with unforgettable memories and a profound sense of accomplishment. Due to their years of local experience,our Tambopata Research Center guides know everything about the forest. They'll spot the tiniest bird hiding in the canopy, the most elusive monkey, and the most spectacular plant lite.
- Twilight descends early in the jungle.Under the thick tree cover of the rainforest, darkness falls quickly, when the light cannot slipthrough the foliage any longer. Now,as afternoon slips into evening,you're about to see one of the world's most spectacular sunsets. The Sunset Cruise floats down the wide river, countless oranges and pinks reflectingoff the water in lovely patterns.
- lt is time to soy goodbye,as the expedition comes to an end.
- Your visit will make a direct contribution to Wired Amazon and the National Reserve of Tambopata.
- You will take the journey back to the city to the airport for your national flight onwards.